What defines you?: Truth Over Lies

As some of you know, I read Rachel Hollis's Girl, Wash Your Face.  The entire book is about overcoming the lies we tell ourselves.  Chapter 17, is entitled The Lie: I am defined by my weight, this chapter spoke more to my heart than I can properly put into words, but I'm going to do my very best.

  Overall the line that I keep repeating to myself over and over after reading it is, "You need to be healthy.  You don't need to be thin." Something so simple, something so powerful, yet something that I have difficulty believing some days.  I define myself by my weight. Does everyone else? No. Should I? No.  But do I? Yes! I struggle with defining myself with my weight.  For so long I've been determined to be thin without considering the cost! The cost is far greater than I ever would have imagined! My mental health, the constant worry and fear, the stress, and even just losing my hair, and so much more.  I have a lot of hair so no one notice. I would leave gobs of hair in the shower, it felt like I kept a cold, and so much more! All things that have changed, once I starting eating a little more.

These are all signs that no matter how thin I was, I was not healthy! I was worried about all the wrong things.  I believed the lie that my weight defined me and determined everything about me.  The truth is, it doesn't! The truth is, I'm not just a number or a size! I'm so much more.  I'm a daughter, sister, aunt, friend, attorney, Christian, beautiful, etc. I am so much than a size! I am strong, I am determined, and so much more! Being challenged by Rachel Hollis to describe myself not using my weight, not using a number, it's extremely difficult, even now.  But I can! And I will continue to do so.   Even if it means, I have to repeat, "You need to be healthy. You don't need to be thin" until I believe it, I will!

I am so much more! Those of you reading this, each of you are so much more than a size! You more than a number! Your physical and mental health matter more than any number!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scale: Friend or Enemy?

Amanda ate what?!

One Year Later