Don't be like Aunt Amanda



      What happens when you're with your niece and great niece all week? You think.  You think about all you want them to be, how much you want them to love themselves, how much you want them to know just how beautiful they are! Aunt Amanda brag, they love me! But I love them. Because they love me, because I'm their aunt I have the power to help shape their minds.  I don't want them to be like me.  I don't want them to think they're fat when they're not.  I don't want them to think they have to diet. I don't want them to think that being "skinny" is the most important thing.  Eating healthy, being healthy is important.  But if they're older and not doing that, I'll LOVE them NO MATTER what! 



     Unfortunately, I let someone close to me, someone in my family tell me at 10 years old I needed to diet.  Tell me at 10 I needed to watch what I ate, to quit eating late, to not eat bread, etc.  My mom told me I didn't have to. She told me not to. But I let this other person tell me otherwise.  Why? Because I trusted them and looked up to them.  Looking back I see how wrong they were and how right my mom was.  But when you're young, you don't always listen to your parents about this kind of stuff.

     My promise to Aurora and Brystal is to NEVER tell them they need to diet, to NEVER tell them that they are fat! To always remind them that they're beautiful! To keep them away from a scale. To remind them that they're beauty is more than anything measured by a number.  To show them they are loved, to show them they're gorgeous! To tell them constantly! To not let them see me as sick as I've been.  To be there for them, like someone wasn't for me! To NOT be the Aunt that tells them to watch their food, but instead shows them healthy options and that treats are okay. My job as their aunt is to protect them and be there for them. I'll protect them from the scale, from the numbers, from what happened to me! Aurora and Brystal Aunt Amanda loves you both! You're beautiful and you always will be! I don't ever want them to think differently!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scale: Friend or Enemy?

One Year Later

Amanda ate what?!